シラバス － 英語リーディングスキル＆クリティカルシンキング(1)
- 科目名Subject Name
- 履修年次Standard Year for Registration
- 実務経験のある教員等による授業科目Taught by instructor(s) with practical experience
授業の到達目標Objectives to be Attained
The goals of this course are to improve students’ ability to read English texts on social, political, technical, scientific, and economic topics critically and accurately, and to develop the skills necessary to express their own judgements on these topics and texts, both orally and in writing.
授業の概要Method of Instruction
In class, students will read newspaper and magazine articles on a variety of social issues, including political and economic topics. As well as reading comprehension training, class activities will focus on active critical engagement with texts, including summarizing, rewriting, and response tasks, in which students will express their own reactions to and judgements on class reading in presentation, discussion, and written work.
事前・事後学習、時間等Study Required outside Class(Preparation, etc.)
As well as regular review of class content, students will be expected to complete reading activities and prepare presentation and written assignments outside of class.
- 1回目Session 1
- Course orientation
- 2回目Session 2
- Unit 7A: Global Addictions; Caffeine: The World's Favorite Drug
- 3回目Session 3
- Unit 7B: Global Addictions: Powering the Future
- 4回目Session 4
- Unit 8A: Epic Engineering: China's Grand Canal
- 5回目Session 5
- Unit 8B: Peru's Highway of Dreams
- 6回目Session 6
- Viewing: (U7) Wave Power; (U8) Birth of a Rain Forest
- 7回目Session 7
- Unit 9A: Far Out; Defying Gravity
- 8回目Session 8
- Unit 9B: Far Out; The Ultimate Trip
- 9回目Session 9
- Unit 10A: All in the Mind; What's on your Mind?
- 10回目Session 10
- Unit 10B: All in the Mind; Inside Animal Minds
- 11回目Session 11
- Viewing: (U9) Walking in Space; (U10) Chimp Memory
- 12回目Session 12
- Unit 11A: Art and Life; The Power of Color
- 13回目Session 13
- Unit 11B: Art and Life; Van Gogh's World
- 14回目Session 14
- Unit 12B: Medical Challenges; Deadly Contact
- 15回目Session 15
- Course summary + Viewing (U11) Urban Art
DOUGLAS, N. & BOHLKE, D. (2015) Reading Explorer 3B (2nd ed.). Cengage
Reference works will be introduced in class as appropriate.
課題の種類・内容Homework, Exercises, etc.
Review reading and follow-up writing tasks will be set each week.
Feedback will be given orally and via written comments.
Textbook work done in class (30%); presentations and written assignments (30%); final examination or other final task (30%); in-class participation (10%).